Friday 4 October 2013

The (pattern) hunt for #RedOctober

It's Red! It's October!


How do you like my fabric there? Actually, it's not my fabric - it's Anneke's and she kindly donated it to the swap at the great Belgian meet in July, and I swiped it because silk cotton yes please. Thank you Anneke! Here it is being red with some red October leaves:



So, another irresistible twitter challenge, and luckily not a very challenging one: make something red. In October. Hey presto, #RedOctober! I even have matching red lining already, so basically this should be easy. Except.

Except, what oh what shall I actually make with it, people? I tried draping myself in it, in case that inspired a revelation. It didn't, unless you count "don't wear that print on your boobs" as revelatory.  Plus I seriously had a photo taking disaster.
 


How hard can it be?? I only wanted to show my face for once!! Hello!

Anyway, now I'm thinking this:


I've got about a 1.5 m square of fabric, and as I'm on the short side I think it should be enough. Plus, it's an excuse to buy another pattern. Although, this one didn't grab me at all when it was launched - funny isn't it how the fabric speaks inspiration into things?

Look how light and floaty...


Anyone got any better ideas that might save my pattern cash??  Or just, y'know, better ideas.

Are you doing #RedOctober? What are you making? Can I see your fabric too??


10 comments:

  1. Ok, the faces photo has me in stitches. I'm not sure what I'd make with that, its kinda begging to be a dress as its definitely a statement piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to shout 'OMG where did you get that I used the exact same stuff to line my trench coat'... And then I remembered you got it from me. I'm curious to see what you end up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah I REALLY want to make a dress with it, but I haven't been able to find an inspiring pattern with so little yardage. I still have time to continue the hunt though! And I'm glad the face photos were good for something :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the face interpretation! I never know what to do with my face in my Flickr photos. This fabric is gorgeous and it sounds lovely from your description. I selfishly want you to make the Zinnia since I haven't seen very many online yet. I'm in for #RedOctober. I'm making the Lady Skater dress. I'm just hoping my fabric is red enough and not too orange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it at a pretty big fabric outlet in Kapellen, it's a bit of a hit and miss printwise but they have nice quality cottons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh lady skater! I really want to make one too, but I must stop buying patterns - I have such a massive backlog. I think I might get the zinnia anyway though, as I remembered some poly chiffon I have that it's be great for, so either way I hope to fulfil your selfish wish to see it made soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the faces Jo... And such a pretty red piece of fabric. I was all set to make a red challis Saltspring dress but the red challis I ordered is a little too orangey red for my tastes. Grrrrrr... you know how HARD it is to find a solid red challis? I have had a heck of a time. So I am thinking of trying some red dye to darken it up... The Zinnia is a great skirt... ofc a dress would be nice too as Lady K said... Looking forward to seeing what you decide! ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea about red challis - god luck with the dye job! I'm leaning towards making a dress now, I sort of stopped being able to imagine it as a zinnia. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous fabric! I already have half of my #RedOctober finished. I'm making top and culottes. Culottes! I'm using stripes with red.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is BEAUTIFUL! I love it! Can't wait to see what you make with it!

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be anonymous or unpleasant!