Tuesday 12 August 2014

The joy of pockets: field trip cargo pants & raglan tee

It's been a while since we had some kid projects around here, hasn't it? Rest assured, I haven't been entirely neglecting them (the kid projects that is, not the kids themselves - they can be annoying, but in general I do try to keep them well fed and watered at least).  Today, I'm finally getting around to showing you the outfit I made T for his birthday in May.


Excuse the dirty floor


If you sew for kids at all I hope you've tried at least one Oliver & S pattern - they're absolute treasures, delightful to sew, and well worth the money. I always learn something new and valuable, and this was no exception. It's the Field Trip cargo pants and raglan tee. The tee is a pretty straightforward basic, the beauty of which is in the impeccable drafting and pocket detail. But for me the real winner of this project was the linen trousers - I had SO MUCH FUN making all those pockets!  The whole process of construction was a joy from start to finish, and the only thing I changed was to sew a double layer at the front knee panel, because boys. They go through knees like nobody's business. (There's a great flickr tute for doing that on this pattern, here).

Now the other thing about boys is, of course, pockets. Why is that? Part of my glee while sewing this up was knowing how into the pockets he'd be, and I wish I'd managed to video his reaction to them because it was hilarious. Instead, I've got the second best thing - a blow by blow demonstration of each one and exactly how much playmobil you can get in them. I didn't actually know they were full of playmobil until he started taking it out - I was killing myself laughing, which is why these photos are all at different angles.


Fig. 1: right side seam pocket.

Contains two policemen.


Fig. 2: right-hand cargo pocket.

Contains two knight on horses.


Fig. 3: left-hand cargo pocket.

Contains two foot soldiers.


Fig. 4: left side seam pocket.

Contains two more foot soldiers (he has quite a collection).


Fig. 5: the back pocket pièce de resistance.

Contain two hands.

POCKETS ON MY BUM!!!

BUM! I'M SO HILARIOUS!!


4 comments:

  1. pockets are the best, I can't be doing without pockets for myself, so I totally get your son, especially when he has so much playmobil to carry around :)
    And linen is probably a wise choice for sewing cargo pants, I have a pair I made myself that I love, but I struggled to sew all the layers in thick fabric! I think about making another pair, but I will definitely use a thinner fabric next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Helen // Grosgrain GreenAugust 12, 2014 10:02 pm

    So cute, and these are great! i haven't yet sewn clothes for my boys because it always seemed more bother than it was worth, but now at I am resigned to not having any girls to sew pretty dresses for, i am warming to the idea! Plus my older son is now of an age where he will not outgrow an item before I finish it! Once I get the time to get back to sewing, I will definitely check out Oliver & S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your son looks so cute! I can't imagine how handy it must be to store an entire personal army in your pockets :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the joy of pockets is the best! also "bottom" ha ah ha ha so funny!

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be anonymous or unpleasant!